Temporary Use Permits (TUPs)

Temporary Use Permits (TUPs) can authorize a particular use to occur, temporarily, in a zone where it is not usually permitted.  The permit is issued for a specified period of time not exceeding three (3) years, which may be renewed once only for a further period not exceeding three (3) years, and establishes the conditions under which the temporary use may be carried on.


A TUP is seen to provide - in certain circumstances - a more flexible option than rezoning, particularly when Council is being asked to consider a transitional use or a use where uncertainty exists respecting its appropriateness or long-term viability however, TUPs are not intended to be a substitute for a rezoning application.


TUP applications require the submission of an application fee, completed application form, a copy of a State of Title Certificate dated no more than 30 days prior to application date and other supporting documentation (i.e. site plans, floor plans, nature of proposed use, etc.) and are referred to adjacent property owners/occupants prior to decision by Village Council.  Council may also require the convening of a Public Information Meeting before rendering a decision.


The whole of the Village of Keremeos has been designated as an area in which TUPs may be issued.  Individuals interested in applying for a TUP may download an application form by following the link below.


Temporary Use Permit Application Form


Information about the Temporary Use Permit application process - including requirements for posting Notice of Development signage - can be found within the Village's Land Use Procedures Bylaw by following the link below.


Land Use Procedures Bylaw No. 819

Notice of Development Sign Pamphlet